Dinner, lunch, snack
Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten free
Makes 10 falafels
Benefits of black beans:
Black beans have the highest levels of antioxidants amongst all the common beans tested. Their dark colour is a result of the powerful flavonoids, which are found in nutritional superstars, like red cabbage, blueberries, cranberries, and red beets.
Ingredients for black bean falafels:
- 2 cups of black beans
- ½ cup oats
- ½ cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 1tsp ground coriander
- 1tsp garlic powder
- 2tsp oregano flakes
- 1tsp chilli powder
- 2Tbsp tomato paste
- 1Tbsp wholemeal flour
- Juice of 1 lime
Ingredients for avocado and tomato salsa:
- 1 large avocado
- 2 tomatoes
- ¼ red onion
- 1 small garlic clove
- Juice of ½ lime
- ½ cup fresh coriander
Method for black bean falafels:
- Add oats, pepitas and spices to food processor and blitz until oats are broken down.
- Add black beans, tomato paste and blend till combined.
- Add lime juice and wholemeal flour, blitz till combined.
- Remove mixture from food processor and roll into balls.
- Place on baking paper and cook for approx. 20mins at 180 degrees
Method for avocado and tomato salsa:
- Dice tomatoes and avocado.
- Finely dice red onion and add to tomatoes and avocado.
- Crush garlic and add to mixture.
- Chop fresh coriander and add to mixture with lime juice.
Enjoy on wholemeal flat bread with a salad of corn, red cabbage and kale.