Nut milks really are the new black. They are absolutely perfect in your favourite coffee and far kinder to our planet and bodies.
Have you ever tried making your own nut milk?
It is super easy and much creamier than any store bought milks that I have found. It’s also a great way to replace or decrease the amount of dairy in your diet. So if your like me and love a creamy delicious treat, start experimenting with making your own nut milk.
Making your own is much easier than you think. All you need is a high-speed blender, a nut-milk bag and water.
The best thing about making your own is that you know exactly what has been put in it. You can get creative and try different nuts and flavour combos. I have included some of my personal favourites.
Basic nut milk recipe:
- 1 Cup of nuts. I have used almonds, cashews, macadamias and hazelnuts and they all have different but equally delicious flavours.
- 3 Cups of water
- 1 date
- Pinch of pink sea salt
- Soak nuts for a few hours in water.
- Empty the soaking liquid and rinse the nuts in freshwater.
- Add the nuts to your blender with 3 cups of water, dates, salt,
- Blend for two minutes.
- Strain through a nut bag.
- This will last in the fridge for three or four days.
Here are some flavour alternatives you could try:
Creamy cacao almond milk: Add 3Tbsp of cacao powder, ¼ tsp cinnamon, 2 dates
Very vanilla cashew milk: ½ vanilla bean or ½ tsp vanilla extract, ½ tsp cinnamon, 2 dates
Healthy hazlenut milk: ½ tsp cinnamon, ¼ tsp nutmeg, ½ tsp vanilla extract, 2 dates
Lets go get nutty together