I have added kale to my super easy and family friendly minestrone to add some extra nutrition punch!
I have based this Italian Vitality Bowl on the classic Sardinian diet which consists of whole-grain bread, beans, garden vegetables and fruits. Sardinia is known as one of the “Blue Zones,” pockets around the world where people live measurably longer better. In these “Blue Zones” they found that people reach age 100 at rates 10 times greater than in the United States.
Dinner, lunch, snack
Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten free
Makes 10 falafels
Benefits of black beans:
Black beans have the highest levels of antioxidants amongst all the common beans tested. Their dark colour is a result of the powerful flavonoids, which are found in nutritional superstars, like red cabbage, blueberries, cranberries, and red beets.
Ingredients for black bean falafels:
- 2 cups of black beans
- ½ cup oats
- ½ cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 1tsp ground coriander
- 1tsp garlic powder
- 2tsp oregano flakes
- 1tsp chilli powder
- 2Tbsp tomato paste
- 1Tbsp wholemeal flour
- Juice of 1 lime
Ingredients for avocado and tomato salsa:
- 1 large avocado
- 2 tomatoes
- ¼ red onion
- 1 small garlic clove
- Juice of ½ lime
- ½ cup fresh coriander
Method for black bean falafels:
- Add oats, pepitas and spices to food processor and blitz until oats are broken down.
- Add black beans, tomato paste and blend till combined.
- Add lime juice and wholemeal flour, blitz till combined.
- Remove mixture from food processor and roll into balls.
- Place on baking paper and cook for approx. 20mins at 180 degrees
Method for avocado and tomato salsa:
- Dice tomatoes and avocado.
- Finely dice red onion and add to tomatoes and avocado.
- Crush garlic and add to mixture.
- Chop fresh coriander and add to mixture with lime juice.
Enjoy on wholemeal flat bread with a salad of corn, red cabbage and kale.