I love hot cross scones at Easter, when they come hot out of the oven and you lather them in a delicious nut butter!
These hot cross buns are vegan and contain no refined sugar or oil.
- 1 Cup soy milk
- 500g wholemeal spelt flour
- 2 Tbsp rapadura sugar
- 1/2 cup apple puree
- 1 cup of raisins
- 2tsp vanilla essence
- 2 1/2 tsp bicarb soda
- Zest of 1 large orange
- Juice of half a large orange
- 2tsp ground cinnamon
- 1tsp allspice
- 1tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup white flour for crosses
- Mix together the flour, cinnamon, rapadura, allspice, nutmeg, cloves, salt, raisins and bicarb soda.
- Add soy milk, vanilla essence, apple puree, juice and zest of orange.
- Mix well together with a wooden spoon.
- Then place mixture on a chopping board that has been sprinkled with flour.
- Knead the dough for approximately 2-3mins. You may need to sprinkle more flour if it is sticking.
- Roll into 70g balls and place into an oven dish lined with baking paper.
- Mix together white flour and water till desired consistency, place in a small piping bag and draw crosses over the buns
- Bake in a fan forced oven at 170 degrees Celsius for approximately 25mins
I recommend eating them heated with nut butter of your choice.